Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Cool Measure of Inflation

For years now, I have kept a watchful eye on the price of the Lasko box fan, available at Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, and many other retailers. It is a basic sheet-metal frame with plastic grills, plastic blades, a motor, and 3 speeds. It is also very inexpensive.

It appears the model 3733 is the most affordable fan Lasko makes, and I doubt they could produce it at a much lower cost. This is the most basic fan I have found. Given this observation, and the fact that I have abused these fans on construction jobsites for many years with little recourse, I highly recommend buying one for work and home use.

Generally, I buy at least one every year, in the spring, and I have noticed the creep in price every year. Here's a breakdown:

2009: $14.99
2008: $11.99
2007: $9.99
2006: $8.99
2005: $9.99
2004: $9.99

These are the prices I paid at either Lowe's or Home Depot. I do shop around when I buy them, as I am fascinated with the change in price annually, and I make notes of the prices.

I consider this price as an indicator (of many) of price inflation.

Is inflation heating up? Will your Lasko help you keep a cool head?

No comments: